Consumer Protection Information
The Internet is quickly becoming the main source for many consumers when they buy products that range from books to health and beauty products, from pet supplies to office supplies, and many other products. Accordingly, it is more important than ever to keep up-to-date on the latest consumer protection information. This page contains information about identity theft, children's privacy, protection against Internet fraud, and other areas. While recent reports indicate that growth in online sales may have dropped in certain categories, it is nevertheless important to stay informed. Accordingly, the following are web sites that provide important consumer protection information:
- www.consumer.gov/idtheft This website gives you detailed information about
identity theft to help you "Deter, Detect, and Defend" against identity theft.
- ftc.gov/kidzprivacy Link to information about protecting your children's personal information.
- OnGuardOnline.gov Click here for practical tips from the federal government and the technology industry to help you be on guard against Internet fraud, secure your computer and protect your personal information.
- YouTube Video Presenting Consumer Protection Tips for Consumers from Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel.
- YouTube Video Showing How to Avoid ID Theft Short informational film for the "Elder Consumer Protection Project, funded in part by the Administration on Aging." Shows how ID theft occurs and how to avoid it.
- ftc.gov/onlineshopping This website gives you information to enable you to shop safely and wisely online. You can learn, for example, how to use online payment services, participate in an Internet auction or resolve a complaint with an online dealer.
- ftc.gov/spam This website has information about the Federal Trade Commission's recent law enforcement actions against deceptive commercial email and spammers' responsibilities under the CAN-SPAM law.
- ftc.gov/spyware. Information about spyware.
Advertising Compliance Service has provided an online Sample Issue which originally appeared in Advertising Compliance Service in Bulletin #611, dated February 5, 2007. (For a a much more recent online sample issue - from 2012 - click here now. Here's what Issue #611 contained (Click on each topic to read):
- From the Editor in Chief. This feature appears in every Issue of Advertising Compliance Service. It describes the content of this Issue.
- Brief News of Note. The latest advertising law related news for the previous two-week period.
- Filing Instructions for Contents of Issue. Each information-packed article is filed in an appropriate "Tab" for your later reference. An arsenal of research tools including an extensive Index and numerous Tables speed your research.
The following are the titles of the articles that appeared in that Issue (Click on any article to read the full text of that particular article):
- Lessons Learned in Interactive Advertising: E-Mail Advertising, by Liisa M. Thomas;
- Fever Over Viral Marketing and Other Techniques Spreads: Rx for Compliance," by Joseph J. Lewczak;
- "ACI Conference: A Follow-Up
- "Weight-Control Advertisers Hit With $25 Million in Penalties, Consumer Redress"
- "FTC Staff Advisory Opinion Offers Guidance on `New' Products"
- "Lanham Act Case Involved Google's Adwords Program and Keyword Meta Tags"
- "NAD Article Looks at Recent Cases".
Interactive Advertising Board - Email Guidelines
These guidelines are designed "to bolster confidence among consumers, marketers, and agencies regarding the industry's email practices".
Interactive Advertising Defined
Wikipedia defines "Interactive Advertising" in part as "the use of interactive media to promote and/or influence the buying decisions of the consumer in an online and offline environment. Interactive advertising can utilise media such as the Internet, interactive television, mobile devices (WAP and SMS), as well as kiosk-based terminals."
Center for Interactive Advertising
This website contains studies and resources for students, practitioners and scholars of advertising, marketing and persuasive communication who are interested in "critical issues related to interactive advertising, computer-mediated communication and electronic commerce".
Journal of Interactive Advertising
You will find at this website an online "refereed journal for research on interactive advertising, marketing and communication".
Interactive Advertising Articles
You will find interesting and informative articles involving interactive advertising at this website.
Internet Advertising Competition (IAC)
The IAC Awards honor excellence in online advertising. Entries may be submitted by advertising and interactive agencies or corporate marketing departments worldwide.
MLM Legal. MLM Legal contains interesting articles and information about legal developments affecting the Multi-Level Marketing and Direct Sales Industry. For example, the site contains a page devoted to FTC's Proposed Business Opportunity Rule Resources and Analysis.
Business Opportunity Defined. Wikipedia defines business opportunity - or biz-op - in part as involving "the sale or lease of any product, service, equipment, etc. that will enable the purchaser-licensee to begin a business."
Business Opportunities Weblog. A moderated list of business opportunities for entrepreneurs that includes chronological archives and extensive links.
Net Based Business Opportunities Pamphlet. Website provides full-text of government publication concerning Net Based Business Opportunities and links to additional information on MLMs and business opportunities.
Business Opportunity Resources. FTC has extensive page links to websites of other organizations, including links to state information, Franchise and Business Opportunity FAQs, North American Securities Administrators Association, and more.
Entrepreneur.com. Web pages devoted to home based business and at home business opportunities, including information and articles on legal issues, zoning issues, home based basics, how-to guides, home based business ideas, and more.
Business Opportunity Information. Articles, examples, links.
Multilevel Marketing Plans - Online Pamphlet. Website provides full-text of government publication concerning Multilevel Marketing Plans plus links to additional information on MLMs.
Ten Big Lies of Multilevel Marketing. Critical article discussing MLMs.
Pro-MLM Website. Website lists state and federal regulatory sites and MLM attorneys.
TRUTH ON MLM. MLM research, statistics, law enforcement, news, articles, case studies, and more.
What's Wrong With Multi-Level Marketing?. Web site that's devoted to Anti-MLM resources, cases and information.
Multi-Level Marketing (MLM). The main thesis of this site is that MLMs were once legitimate, but now are scams.
Business Opportunities in Internet Marketing. Many Useful Links.
Advertising Law-Related Articles
- "12 Key Advertising-Related Laws You Should Know"
- This article examines 12 key advertising-related laws that you should know about before you review your ads to make sure your ads don't run afoul of these laws.
- "10 Things to Do So Your Ads Comply With Advertising Laws"
- This article discusses 10 key areas you should look at when you're reviewing your advertising to determine whether it's in compliance with advertising law's many requirements.
- "10 Tactics to Use So Your Ads Comply with Advertising Laws"
- This article presents 10 tactics you could use to help your ads comply with the many laws, rules, regulations and guidelines that may affect your advertisements.
- "10 Major Advertising Law-Related Concepts"
- This article is a useful review of 10 key areas you should look at when you're reviewing your advertising to determine whether it's in compliance with the numerous laws, rules, regulations and guidelines that may affect your ads.