Advertising Agencies and Role of Advertising Law
As we reported in the February 19, 2007 issue of Advertising Compliance Service, the Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS) agreed to pay up to $2 million to Boston-area authorities to settle claims after a guerilla marketing stunt went awry. On January 31, 2007 Interference Inc., an advertising firm retained by TBS, placed several devices around Boston, Mass., and several other nearby communities as part of a guerrilla marketing campaign.
In fact, the devices were magnetic lights, not bombs. Two men, who were hired to place the devices by TBS and Interference, were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and "placing a hoax device." And on February 9, 2007, the head of the Cartoon Network resigned as a result of this marketing stunt.
As advertising agencies enter the new territory of guerilla marketing, buzz marketing and viral marketing, unforeseen legal consequences will abound. Accordingly, it's more important than ever to keep current with the latest advertising compliance information--information found in Advertising Compliance Service.
You should also be aware of the lessons found in older advertising law-related cases as well. In one such advertising law case examined in Advertising Compliance Service, a major automaker's national advertising agency--and a second automaker's regional ad agency--agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission (FTC) charges that their car ads were in violation of federal law.
More Information Below
Advertising Agencies: Twitter Lists
- Advertising Agencies Twitter List by John Lichtenberger @AdvertisingLaw
- Twitter List: 500+ Advertising Agencies on Twitter. Article on the prestigious "Fuel Lines" blog.
- List of Advertising Agencies on Twitter. List of Advertising Agencies on Twitter from Mojave Interactive.
Advertising Law-Related Articles
- "12 Key Advertising-Related Laws You Should Know"
- This article examines 12 key advertising-related laws that you should know about before you review your ads to make sure your ads don't run afoul of these laws.
- "10 Things to Do So Your Ads Comply With Advertising Laws"
- This article discusses 10 key areas you should look at when you're reviewing your advertising to determine whether it's in compliance with advertising law's many requirements.
- "10 Tactics to Use So Your Ads Comply with Advertising Laws"
- This article presents 10 tactics you could use to help your ads comply with the many laws, rules, regulations and guidelines that may affect your advertisements.
- "10 Major Advertising Law-Related Concepts"
- This article is a useful review of 10 key areas you should look at when you're reviewing your advertising to determine whether it's in compliance with the numerous laws, rules, regulations and guidelines that may affect your ads.